Thursday, January 27, 2011

Steven Tyler's Funny - Who Knew?

So, on a completely unrelated to Emma note, has anyone been watching the "new" American Idol?

Okay, I have to admit that I didn't jump onto the American Idol bandwagon until late - maybe only 3 seasons ago. (Confession: I was a total David Cook groupie) And like the rest of America I enjoyed the auditions stage - laughing at the folks who made complete fools out of themselves, cringing at the scathing criticism that Simon Cowell dealt, and even feeling a tad bit sad for some of the contestants who seemed to have no clue they completely sucked.

I wasn't a huge Simon fan to begin with - I found him to be too harsh and a bit melodramatic. The whole weird thing going on between him and Ryan Seacrest drove me crazy. I think Paula may have only been around for one or two seasons that I watched - and the whole time all I could think about everytime she opened her mouth was what kind of drugs she was on.
My husband loathed Kara (me, I didn't really mind her) and the whole Ellen thing was nice (I heart Ellen) but a little misplaced.

Let's just say I didn't have high hopes for this season. While I have a soft spot for America's "dawg" - Randy Jackson, Jennifer Lopez (formerly known as J.Lo or Jenny from the Block) drives me absolutely insane. Yes, she's absolutely gorgeous but she seems so full of herself and the fact that she wears those ridiculous fur coats is totally off-putting. Not to mention Steven Tyler. In highschool I wore my copy of Aerosmith's CD Get a Grip out (specifically on tracks 9, 11 & 13) and had a huge girl crush on Alicia Silverstone and Liv Tyler (um, who didn't want to drive around in a convertible wearing a sexy school uniform). I think I wanted to be them. Surely this rock in roll legend was selling out and attempting a lame publicity stunt via reality TV to bring him back into the limelight.

Considering I am 5 episodes behind on Grey's Anatomy/Private Practice, 8 behind on Brothers & Sisters and an embarassing 10 on Parenthood (hello, I have an almost 2 year old)- I didn't plan to watch this season and save my reality TV craving for So You Think You Can Dance this summer. But, my smart little DVR was set up to record all new episodes of AI from last season(damn technology!) and the first week of auditions appeared at the top of my recorded list tempting me. Of course I caved.

My husband and I got Emma to bed and sat down to watch week one. And you know what? We actually laughed out loud. More than once. And not just at the unfortunate contestants who couldn't carry a tune to save their life (ok those made us laugh too) - but at the hilarious dead pan comments from none other than Mr. Tyler. Who knew he was absolutely hilarious?

Yes he is zany and if you google American Idol Tylerisms the list of wacky one-liners is abundant. But I think what really makes him funny is his dead-pan delivery. And the reaction of the other judges.

He is also kinder and gentler, holding back his criticism for contestents who really, truly think they can sing (even scolding Randy!) which is a nice change from Simon's snark.

But last night - when the now infamous (and completely lovable) Chris Medina brought his injured fiance into the room to meet the judges and Tyler bent over, kissed her cheek and told her, "That's why he sings so good, because he sings to you" I officially melted. Complete with tears (although, not going to lie, it doesn't take much these days).

So I guess American Idol will continue on my DVR list (I'll learn to ignore J. Lo)- I'll catch up with my other shows one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment