Friday, June 3, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow?


Last year Duane and I decided to experiment with a tiny little garden in our backyard. A scraggly patch of grass behind the dining room got the perfect amount of shade and sun. Both of us never having attempted such a thing read a bit about it online, visited our local Home Depot and talked to friends and family who were in our opinion "experts". We grew tomatoes, zuchinni, cucumbers and peppers.


This year we broaden our horizons and tripled the size of the space. It was an all day project (ok, it was an all day project for Duane) but of course we had a little helper.


"These are my Emma's" she kept telling me as I tried to get her to pose for a quick picture on the deck. I wasn't sure my little girlie, girl would be that into the dirt - but the girl does love her Daddy.


She quickly got down to work proudly announcing "I help Daddy!" with each plunge into the soft ground. With all the rain we have had we were lucky that the ground wasn't too hard. And not to mention the fact that Duane works for an outdoor power tool company and he was able to borrow a tiller!


Notice the tiny shovel of dirt - she was so serious as she carefully manuveured herself over to the wheelbarrow to dump her load.


Max watched from the shade under a nearby tree, although I think he probably would have been rolling in the dirt had I let him. He'll get his time when we leave for the beach next week!



The finshed product - seven long hours later. One thing that I do love about Duane is that once he starts a project he refuses to rest until it is finished. In a few months we'll have 3 different kinds of tomatoes, red, green & jalepeno peppers, snap peas, green beans, wax beans, cucumbers, zuchinni & a watermelon - that is assuming the 3 ft high fence and bricks keep out the plethora of bunnies & deer we have in the backyard.


I sure hope so because this little girl can't wait to "help Daddy" harvest the crop!

No comments:

Post a Comment